January 19, 2009

Ash bucket ass tumble

No worries about the pipes freezing up today as the temperatures are above 0 and the water is running in rivulets and slick sheets on the surface of the ice. It is a treacherous walk to the barn. The cows have the planks up across the barn door, open but contained, so they and their very big bellies, won't slip and fall. And then voila, what did I go and do! A very nasty slip with my bent arm behind me, squashed under my (little) body. I lay on the wet ice sheet, dirty ash all over me long enough to feel a chill and get annoyed for feeling sorry for myself. Now I am a slightly crippled madwoman farmer. Ah, but nothing will stop me! Climbing up to the loft of the haybarn is easier than coming down. And I have perfected the art of the one arm manure fork maneuver. I am believing it is just badly pulled tendons, but if it is worse in the morning I'll go for an xray.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hope you heal quickly. If you're like me, in time you look back at your blunder (s) and laugh. But it's not funny when you're in pain.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor thing! I hope, for your sake, it isn't anything more than a pulled tendon.

Are your cows' bellies full because they're pregnant?

Anonymous said...

I think you can count on feeling very stiff in the morning … or out-of-kilter as we say where I come from. You know if you go for an x-ray you’ll end up with your arm in a sling! Take it easy.

anne said...

My sister gave my Dad these ice cleats that he puts on his boots. If the weather stayed put for long here I'd do the same. I've spread the remenants of my ash bucket and sand along the icy ways. Do other folks use salt? I worry about this leaching into my gardens.
Yes Stuart, they are thick with calves...I can see them moving inside.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are OK and back on your feet.