January 18, 2009

Frozen pipes

I am feeling very grateful today for running water. My tap ran this morning to fill my kettle, but when I went to wash - it ran dry...oh shit! My pumphouse had frozen up.
I had reinsulated the pumphouse this fall and have been leaving the light to provide a little heat: the light had burned out and it was very cold last night. Even the cows with their thick winter coats have frosty chins. I spent the morning thawing out the pump room and thankfully there are no busted pipes. I had to melt snow to collect enough water to prime the pump but we're in the water action on this little farm again. I'll be leaving the tap to trickle until this blistery cold weather has past. I'm off to soak in a hot bath.

2 comments:

Rosengeranium said...

You've earned it! I keep my fingers crossed for you pumphouse this winter!

Sue Catmint said...

You're grateful for running water. In Melbourne we feel guilty for running water because of the drought (read climate change). I don't think anyone has baths any more, just timed showers with specially treated shower roses with small holes. This is in the city - the farmers are doing it really tough. I so admire and respect your self sufficiency - keep up the good work!